Tis the season for hot car deaths, and these tragic incidents continue to rise alongside the rising temperatures. Among the latest victims was a 14 month old girl in New York who died after her 54-year-old grandmother forgot to drop the tot off at daycare. She went straight to work leaving the girl inside a hot Jeep Cherokee for 8 hours. I can only imagine how this grandmother feels.
When people hear about cases like this they assume it can never happen to them. But its easier to forget about a sleeping child than you might think, especially when care givers share child-care duties so that one day they have a chid and the other day will not. If you’ve ever been distracted or had a lot on your mind, it could happen to you too. Everyone, regardless of wether they have kids or not can help prevent these deaths by making it a habit to look into car windows whenever you walk through a parking lot. If you see an unattended child, say something. And for tips to make sure this doesn’t happen to you, visit www.keepyourchildsafe.org for information on preventing hot car deaths.