Children Injured or Killed in Residential Home Fires

In our fire safety books, we cover a few important concepts that can save a child’s life: get out fast, stay low, don’t hide, don’t try to take things with you, or look for your parents.  Above all, once you get outside of the house, stay out!  Here’s why: A Tragic Lesson in Fire Safety In Fort Dodge, Iowa, a house fire on Sunday claimed the lives of 3 people, including a 5-year-old Joseph Kennedy and an infant.  Three other … Continue reading →

House Fires Caused by Christmas Trees or Holiday Decorations

Plug in Christmas Decoration Kills Child In Lincoln, Rhode Island, a plug-in Christmas decoration at the base of a staircase was blamed for a house fire that killed a 7-year-old boy. Eight others were able to escape the blaze. Fire officials say the home was so utterly destroyed it may be impossible to tell if smoke alarms were working or not. (USA Today, 1-6-2009, p. 6A) – Free Holiday Safety Tips … Continue reading →

House Fires Caused by Space Heaters

Fire Deaths Blamed on Space Heaters In Pelion, South Carolina, officials were blaming an increase in fire related deaths in the state on the use of space heaters. State fire marshal John Reich says a combination of the colder weather and the bad economy is causing people to use more dangerous methods to heat their homes. A woman and four children died in a mobile home fire over the weekend, and 15 had died overall in January, the most the … Continue reading →

Dog Starts House Fire…Sort Of

When firefighters tracked down the source of a house fire in Washington that caused around $200,000 worth of damage, they came upon an unusual culprit: the dogs water bowl. It turns out that sunshine beaming through the dog’s glass water bowl apparently acted like a magnifying glass; beaming intense sunlight that ignited a fire on the wooden deck, according to fire department Lieutenant Eric Keenan. “It’s so unusual,” remarks Keenan, who says he’s never seen a fire start this way. … Continue reading →

Children Trapped In Deadly House Blaze

11-28-07 A candle started a deadly blaze in a Toledo, Ohio home, taking the lives of a woman and three children with it. The fire started at around 10 p.m. on November 28, 2007. Neighbor Mike Matzinger, 49, was inside doing dishes at the time. He looked out the kitchen window and saw flames leaping out of the first floor of his neighbors house. He says he then ran outside, and tried to break through the back door of the … Continue reading →

Child Playing With Matches Dies

11-7-07 A 4-year-old boy died from smoke inhalation Wednesday, in a house fir he started in Salt Lake, Honolulu. Fire investigators believe that little John Rex Caesar was playing with a lighter. Thirty-one people were living in the house, and were all left homeless because of the fire. They were immigrants from the island of Chuuk. All the other family members in the home managed to escape without injury. The boys’ body was found in a bedroom, one of three … Continue reading →

Child Starts Fire, Family Escapes

7-23-07 A 4-year-old playing with a lighter started a fire that destroyed his family’s home in Northglenn, Colorado. The boy was in a bedroom when he lit some clothing on fire. It spread quickly, but thankfully everyone escaped the blaze, including the child who started the fire. It took twenty firefighters to battle the flames, which fully engulfed the main floor of the house. Wendy Forbes, spokes-woman for the North Metro Fire Rescue, said the damage was estimated at $167,000.00. … Continue reading →

Children Left Unattended Start Fatal House Fire

6-12-07 A fire that was started by kids playing with matches, raced through a three story row house, killing 5 children, who ranged in ages from three to seven. Their bodies were found on the second floor, where the fire apparently started. Two 8-year-old children managed to escape without injury. Neighbor Sontoya Perry, 22, said she could hear the children screaming inside the house as the fire engulfed them, but was unable to help because the steps leading to the … Continue reading →