Some noticeable recent child safety stories:
Senator’s granddaughter drowns
In Frankenmuth, Michigan, Republican State Senator Ken Horn’s 2-year-old granddaughter died while at the Senator’s house on Sunday after wandering away unattended and falling into a pool.
Kids really will get into anything
In Sterling Heights, Michigan, firefighters were forced to use cutting tools to free 3 children who had accidentally locked themselves inside a gun safe. The 3- and 4-year-olds were playing in their home in suburban Detroit when they managed to entomb themselves. As if you needed another reason to keep a gun safe locked. (USA Today 9-28-17)
On the danger of inviting strangers into your house
In Minneapolis, Minnesota, a guest at an Airbnb home is accused of attempting to sexually assault the host’s 7-year-old daughter. The 28-year-old man has since been banned from Airbnb.